top of page

Christmas hazards for dogs

Is it the most wonderful time of the year? Yes, it is! But, we need to be careful if we have a dog in our household because some of the festive stuff can be a hazard for them.

Here is some potential danger for our dogs:

  • fairy lights - electric shock

  • batteries - metal poisoning and chemical burns

  • onions - stomach irritation and lead to red blood cell damage and anaemia

  • alcohol - difficulty breathing, if large dose -> coma

  • toys with small parts - can get stuck in the throat or intestines

  • chocolate - has theobromine -> vomiting, diarrhoea, tremors, seizures, death

  • poinsettia & mistletoe - vomiting, drooling and diarrhoea

  • grapes - highly poisonous for dogs - kidney damage -> accute kidney failure

  • christmas tree needle - upset stomach, cuts on the mouth and perforation of the intestines

  • wrapping paper - large ammount can cause a blockage in the stomach

  • macadamia nuts - weakness, tremors, vomiting and hypothermia

  • glass baubles - can cause cuts and if eaten can cause damage to internal organs

Enjoy the festive period but keep on eye on your loved one!


bottom of page